The United Kingdom Boccia Federation (Boccia UK) was formed in 2007 to meet the growing need for Boccia to have a co-ordinated UK wide approach to the development of the elite level of the sport.
Previously 'Great Britain' had only competed as a unified team at the Paralympic Games. The Home Countries had sent separate teams to European and World Championships. These events contribute to world ranking positions and prior to 2007 Great Britain would only qualify for the Paralympic Games based on the position of the highest ranked Home Country. Now Great Britain attend these championships and are able to send the best players from across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in one unified team. The Home Countries continue to send representative teams to non ranking events.
Boccia UK is a member of the Boccia International Sports Federation (BISFed).
The membership of the United Kingdom Boccia Federation is as follows;
- Boccia England
- Scottish Disability Sport
- Disability Sport Wales
- Disability Sport Northern Ireland
Each member can nominate one Director to serve on the Board of the GBBF. There is also an independent Chair and two independent Directors. The current Board is as follows:
- John Dowson (Chair) - Independent
- Lara Hayward - Independent (Safeguarding Lead)
- Abby Laybourne - Independent (Senior Independent Director, Finance Committee Chair and Equality Champion)
- Maggie Else - Boccia England
- Gavin Macleod - SDS (Performance Development Committee Chair)
- Jon Morgan - DSW
- Kevin O'Neill - DSNI
The Board is committed to Equality and has achieved the Foundation and Preliminary Levels of the Equality Standard. The Equality Policy can be downloaded on the Resources page
The following documents are available to download:
World Class Programme funding
The United Kingdom Boccia Federation is a company limited by guarantee and receives an award from UK Sport for the running of its World Class Programme. This funding is primarily used for the following:
- Formulating and implementing a World Class Performance Plan for Boccia UK
- Preparing British athletes and teams for participation in world ranking events with the aim of qualifying a BC1/BC2 Team, BC3 Pair and BC4 Pair and individual athletes for the Paralympic Games
- Establishing appropriate policies and protocols for the development of athletes, coaches and officials across the United Kingdom, for delivery by the member organisations